Here are some safety tips for
- Never allow strangers into your house – always confirm their legitimacy
- Invest and utilize a good overall security system
- Adequate lighting around the perimeter of your house acts as a good deterrent
- Trim shrubs around windows and entrances so they cannot conceal intruders
- When you leave you home at night, leave interior lights one, as well as your television or radio, so that your house looks occupied
- If living in a complex don’t open entrance/foyer doors to strangers and prevent tailgating
- Never disclose that you are home alone
- Always be alert to vehicles or persons following you into your entrance or the garage
- Educate everyone regarding these safety precautions
- Don’t leave firearms unattended
- Keep a list of emergency numbers next to the telephone
- A list of emergency numbers can be found on our website here
To all business owners
Please download the following document with important safety information for the festive season and beyond. Business Safety Letter
The Sea Point CID wants you to take care this festive season when you use an ATM
- Use ATMs in well lit and safe areas.
- Don’t allow your card to be removed from your sight.
- Don’t accept help from strangers or give out your pin, not even to persons claiming to be bank officials.
- Watch out for people standing very close to you and looking over your shoulder as you type in your pin.
- Never leave your card in the ATM, if stuck, follow instructions provided on the ATM machine.
- When cancelling an ATM card if it has been stuck please use the numbers on the wall in and around the ATM to cancel the card.
- Make sure you are not followed after a transaction – After transaction has been completed please remove printed slip as this will give information on the balance in the account.
- Keep your doors locked at all times.
- Park in well-lit areas at night.
- Keep enough distance from the car in front of you to enable you to change lanes and drive away in a hurry.
- Don’t pick up hitchhikers or strangers.
- Look around before entering your driveway. Always have your car/house keys ready when walking to your car/entrance to your home.
- Be alert of strangers begging at intersections and avoid giving money – rather donate to a known charity.
- Never open your window when approached by a stranger.
- If you think you are being followed drive to a busy place or police station.
- Don’t keep any items visible on the seat of your vehicle.
Restaurant Safety Tips
- Patrons to please keep all valuables close at hand, never let any of your belongings out of your sight.
- If any people are acting suspiciously in the restaurant, please report this to the manager and express your concern.
- When paying for your bill please ask the waitron to bring the swipe machine to your table to complete the transaction, keep all bank cards in sight at all times.
- When going to use the bathroom please take all valuables with you.
- Do not leave handbags under tables, on the back of chairs or on restroom hooks.
- Do not leave cell phones or wallets on restaurant tables.?